Monday, October 21, 2013

"I'm on the Top of the World"; A Modern Day Love Story

Such a feelin's comin' over me
There is wonder in most every thing I see
Not a cloud in the sky, got the sun in my eyes
And I won't be surprised if it's a dream


Since coming West, aside from missing my family and friends at home,  I have been "on the top of the world"!   Truthfully, the literal "top" started in June when Rachel and I flew to Denver.  We had an awesome mother/daughter trip combined with business for Rachel.  A couple of the highlights of our trip this summer included traveling to Red Rock--one day I will return to a concert at this site--where we ate at The Fort (highly recommended going on our experience), and then the next day when we travelled to the Rockies.  Even though there was some threat of poor weather conditions, we took the Old Fall River Road to climb via the one-way/single lane, mostly gravel road to 10,000+ feet!  We were on the top of the world literally and figuratively!  We saw the most awesome views going up, and after arriving at the Alpine Visitor Center to eat and shop, we went outside to walk straight into the mist making us feel as if we were in the clouds!

Then in September, my best buddy and I, along with Huck and Finn, started West.  Again, I found myself on top of the world.  In fact, many of my friends, as reflected in their posted comments, seemed to find this new height disconcerting enough to issue warnings of being too close to the edge.  View this:

The Badlands.  The most significant aspect of this site is not how many feet in the air it is but, rather, the sheer vastness of the geological formations among other things.  I believe that for me, in particular, this "top of the world" might be more metaphorical than literal as I got to experience this with the love of my life, my buddy, my pal! 

Everything I want the world to be
Is now comin' true especially for me
And the reason is clear, it's because you are here
You're the nearest thing to Heaven that I've seen



This past Saturday I found myself yet again "on top of the world."  Roy and I went to Mt. Rainier;  this time, we were at only 5,400 ft. but when we reached Paradise Visitor Center.  I read "I'm On the Top of the World" on a display and knew that the old song by the Carpenters that I listened to incessantly during my college years described this experience in which I am currently so immersed. 


There is only one wish on my mind
When this day is through I hope that I will find
That tomorrow will be just the same for you and me
All I need will be mine if you are here

I'm on the top of the world lookin' down on creation
And the only explanation I can find
Is the love that I've found ever since you've been around
Your love's put me at the top of the world

No comments:

Post a Comment